STYLE: BBA’s Activewear Style EditJune 27, 2019
BEAUTY: Winter Skin Beauty Must-HavesJuly 23, 2019
SUMMER BODIES ARE MADE IN WINTER THEY SAY, SO AS MUCH AS SOME OF US ARE RUSTED ON TO EXERCISE ALL YEAR ROUND, THERE ARE THOSE OF US WHO USE THE COOLER MONTHS AS AN EXCUSE TO SKIP THE GYM, THE EARLY MORNING RUN OR THE BIKE RIDE.
Of course add in to that being on holiday, and the wind-down, chill-out thing gives us a whole new set of reasons not to exercise. We had a chat to a physio and strength & conditioning coach to give you some sound reasons why you should maintain a fitness regime all year long though, holidays or not, and got the heads up on how you can do it in Byron whether you’re a local or you’ve just dropped in to stay for a while.
WHY YOU SHOULD STAY ACTIVE IN WINTER
- Because consistency is number one. That means you just keep doing it!
- Getting active is the most effective anti-depressant you can ’take’, and believe it or not, it has the ability to improve your mood in just a few minutes. More exercise, less Winter blues.
- Exercise helps to bolster the immune system and we all want to do our best to keep the dreaded flu at bay. It’s worth adding a few supplements to your diet at this time of year too, and a daily Green Shot from our friends at Bare Blends would be a health bonus...
- Too much comfort-oriented stuff in the cooler months will slow your metabolism, so mix up the Netflix and hearty food in front of the fire with short, intense bouts of exercise.
- Byron’s temperate Winter weather can sometimes be kinder than the more hot and humid Summer months. The tourist numbers thin out too, leaving you more room to get outside and exercise whether it’s a walk, run, ride or swim.
HOW TO STAY ACTIVE IN WINTER
- Take the Cape Byron Lighthouse walk. It’s iconic the world over and you can set the pace according to your fitness level - walk it, jog it or run it. Choose your own adventure! Or there are other great walks in the region to challenge all fitness levels.
- Hire a kayak and paddle up Belongil Creek for a gentle workout, or try a bit of sea kayaking if your fitness levels are up to it. You’re quite likely to see Humpbacks at this time of year as they make their way north and dolphins can often be constant companions.
- Hire a bike and check out one of the many bike trails on offer such as the Byron to Brunswick Loop or the Byron Hinterland Tour. Maybe set some goals on one of our Lekker bikes, even if it is just a cruise around town or along the beachfront
- Take a trail run at Suffolk Park and explore the rainforest and the more secluded Kings Beach while you train.
- Or if you want to stay indoors, take a class at one of our go-to training spots in Byron:
Bende Byron Bay
, where you can sweat, tone and move how you like with classes designed to be low impact/high results, whether it's the energy blast of Dance Cardio or the smooth magic of Barre.
, which combines the functional benefits of Pilates, Strength and Aesthetic Circuit Training.
, which incorporates the mental, physical and emotional challenges of boxing into a fitness regime and lifestyle. All levels of fitness can take part in classes or private training.
And if we can’t convince you to get active and you’d rather immerse yourself in all that Byron, the spiritual and healing capital of Australia
, has to offer, we can help you there too. Aboriginal elders have recognised the area as a sacred healing ground for tens of thousands of years. It’s little wonder locals and visitors alike are seduced by its indefinable, magical qualities.